Position: Planning Intern
Job Type: Student Internship
Duration: September – December 2022 (4 Months)
Bousfields Inc. is one of the pre-eminent community planning firms in Ontario with special expertise in urban and community design, planning policy, community engagement, complex development approvals, and project management.
Bousfields offers a full range of land use planning and urban design services to the development industry, municipalities and government agencies. The firm remains small enough to ensure that each project is managed directly by one of the senior practitioners in the firm. In addition, as land use planning and urban design specialists, the firm is frequently a prominent team player within multi-disciplinary consortiums of firms having complementary skills. We quite often act as the prime facilitator or project manager coordinating the overall project design and working with a number of different landowners and municipal staff.
We are looking for a Planning Intern to work in our Toronto office. The Planning Intern will assist professional staff in a variety of activities and have the opportunity to learn from our experienced and well-respected members of the planning community.
· Assist in the preparation of various reports including Community Services and Facilities Studies.
· Assist professional staff in the preparation of presentation materials to the public, Committees and Councils, clients, and stakeholders.
· Assist staff in collecting, compiling, and preparing research data and information on variety of planning issues and properties across the GTHA (and other municipalities as required).
· Provide high quality service to clients in a timely and efficient manner.
· Assist professional staff with application submissions including physical delivery.
· Assist professional staff at community meetings.
· Carry out site visits, taking notes, and photography as required.
· Conduct administrative functions related to file management.
· Maintain project files and records.
· Provide support to other professional staff as required.
· Resident of Regent Park.
· General knowledge of the provincial and municipal policy and regulatory framework.
· General understanding of the municipal planning processes General knowledge of planning practices and principles.
· Demonstrate competency of software programs, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
· Strong English oral and written communication skills.
· Analytical, research, and interpretive skills.
· Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed.
· Creative problem-solving and solution-finding skills within a defined planning framework.
· Understand the importance of being self-motivated and organized.
· Ability to relate well and work with all Bousfields staff.
· Ability and willingness to be flexible and take on additional assignments as required.
· Participate in corporate events, committees, and initiatives to build upon and improve firm culture.
· Ability to work in a hybrid working model.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Bousfields is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.