Make a Difference
We are seeking dedicated and passionate individuals to join the Regent Park Community Animation team. As a Community Animator, you’ll utilize your expertise and knowledge to contribute to the ongoing efforts of Toronto Community Housing to improve the neighborhoods and lives of residents of Regent Park.
The Community Animator Role (5 positions)
The Regent Park Revitalization Engagement team makes connections with individuals and groups in the neighbourhood to support programs and initiatives leading to resident engagement and leadership, neighborhood integration and social cohesion both in-person and online.
Community Animators are supported in their role through ongoing training and guidance from staff.
In the context of COVID-19, Community Animators require new skills/tools to continue their critical work in Regent Park.
Work will be completed in-person and online:
· All work duties will adhere to the recommended physical and social distancing rules and principles set out by Toronto Public Health
· Work will be conducted:
o In the TCHC office or at home (working online)
o Where people live, gather, socialize and work in Regent Park (following physical distance protocols)
· Duties require access to a computer, the Internet and a smart phone
What you’ll do
· Online engagement including:
o Facilitation of online meetings and community events with tenants and local stakeholders
o Support the development and implementation of a social media strategy to increase online presence, engagement and awareness of TCHC’s ongoing work and initiatives
o Learn about how social media platforms work, and development of engaging content
· Write accurate summaries of online meetings and discussions
· Conduct Community Engagement activities, including:
o Flyer posting
o Door-to-door outreach
o Phone outreach to connect tenants to local events and opportunities
o Connecting with residents in the lobby of their building or on the street
o Individual and group surveys
o Support of focus groups, individual interviews and meetings
· Participate in training and team meetings
· Share, summarize and escalate issues, concerns and questions with the Regent Park Engagement team
· Support programs and initiatives in Regent Park through administrative or operational assistance
· Work with other animators, staff and residents, in ways that are safe, inclusive, and anti-oppressive
· And other duties, as assigned
· Current or former residents of Regent Park or those active in the community as staff/volunteer with a strong familiarity, experience and/or knowledge of the neighbourhood are encouraged to apply
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and to work independently
· Strong written, presentation and communication skills
· Knowledge of online marketing and good understanding of social media platforms
· Positive attitude and attention to detail with good multitasking and organizational ability
· Experience participating in, or ideally, facilitating or leading community meetings
· Ability to work as facilitator, eliciting input without imposing your perspective
· Ability to engage with residents from multiple access points (in-person or online including social networks, faith communities, community groups and organizations)
· Competent and demonstrated experience in both spoken and written English
· Ability to speak a second language is an asset, but not a requirement
· Regular access to a computer/tablet (at home), the Internet and smart phone
· Skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs or a willingness to learn these skills
Working during COVID-19:
COVID-19 creates new challenges and opportunities in this work. Community Animators will adhere to best practices, rules and processes set out by Toronto Public Health to keep residents, Community Animators and staff safe.
Hours of Work: This position is an “on-call” position; hours will be based on business and community needs and are flexible. Community Animators are paid hourly, with the total number of hours worked decided by the Regent Park Revitalization Engagement team.
Compensation: Animators are paid for satisfactory completion of the agreed work and are compensated for training and other related duties.
The hourly rate for this employment opportunity is $16.00 with appropriate tax deductions. Please note compensation may impact rent calculations for RGI tenants and applicants are encouraged to speak with their TCHC Tenant Service Coordinator.
Contract Work: This position is contract-based with a one year minimum.
Applications due by 5 pm on October 4th, 2021
We encourage diverse community-involvement and participation, people from diverse backgrounds and lived experience are encouraged to apply. Hiring priority may be given to those without prior experience as a Community Animator for Toronto Community Housing.
Interested in the position? Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Regent Park Community Animator by October 4th, 2021 by 5 PM.